Sunday, August 22, 2010

Eat Pray Love

I just watched this movie this morning. It is about finding balance in life. The Julia Robert's life fall apart, and she decides to go on a trip to find "the thrill" in her life again. She learns to enjoy food, language, about friendship/ family/ taking care of each other in Italy. She finds her way to meditate and somewhat religion in India. Then, she learns to open up herself and fall in love again in Bali.

Things that I noted from this movie:

"What's the word for London?" "Stuffy" "What's the word for New York?" "Ambition" "What's the word for Rome?" "Sex"

"Americans they don't know how to enjoy pleasure. They work really hard, and then come home, and spend time watching TV." ""In Italy, we know when we need a break...La dolce far niente--the pleasure/ sweetness of doing nothing." "Italians, we talk with our hands."

"Let's go to Naples. We're gonna eat pizza." "I've gained 10 pounds, I can't have pizza." "I've say No to many things, but you can't be in Naples and not having pizza. We can go buy a big-girl-jeans later." "Have you ever been asked to leave when you undress [and the man see that you have a muffin top]? Well, men are so excited when there's a naked girl in his room. That's all that matters."

"It's Thanksgiving. What do you thankful for?" "Well, I'm thankful for being here, see men taking care of their women, parents putting their kids to sleep, friends taking care of each others...seeing and being a part of it."

All those quotes taken when Liz (Julia Roberts) is in Rome.

I am reminded by how can those basic values could slip off our mind real easily. Friends, family, and other enjoyment in lives. Those are things that I've never paid enough attention to. I've always been on the run, making priorities, doing all sort of things to achieve them. I believe that I have to put 24-7 and every breath I have to strive to achieve my goals in lives. I feel like I'm on the race, on the competition with others. If I stop and "smell the roses," others will win the race, and I would not let that happen, because I just can't be the loser. I believe that in life you have to work harder, faster and more efficient. There is no way to stop before you hit the goal. Things happen lately and all those reminds me how important to have a circle of friends and family to keep you on your balance, to celebrate with you when you're on top, to cheer you up and lift your spirit when you're down. Life is dull without them. It is frustrating not having your cheerleaders on the side. It is kinda embarrassing if you check my schedule, I always make them packed, so there's no way I could go out more than once a week on Friday night. I canceled all social activities: hanging out with friends, eating out, etc in exchange with dance classes or school-related stuffs (that has been postponed because of my dance schedule). How bitter I am when I see my others who seem to skip dance classes, and instead go out with their friends, but go further than me. I could not forgive myself. I beat myself up. I have given up all the time and everything I have for this. But, when things do not go as I planned, when I miss my targets, I feel like failures. And, I ditch everyone for this, when I'm down, nobody's there for me, when I reach it, I have no "audience." True story, and it took me a while to realize that something needs to be fixed. But, really a headstrong me. I pace myself to work harder, to do more works, to wake up early, go to bed late. It took me a while to realize that maybe when I find the fun of other activities, enjoy some time to socialize with others, etc. I might function better, I might be more efficient, I won't become such a depressed person, or always have a "failure-like" feeling, I might fins the pleasure of doing different things and in all things that I do.
By the way, the sermon today was also something about the importance of family. Family, in my interpretation, is your biological family and/ or friends.
Well, guess it's true that signs are there if you're open to them.
Thus, I decided that I need to work on my relationship with others, rebuilding my social lives. Let's see where it takes me. Relax. On your way achieving your goals, don't forget to stop and smell the roses. Otherwise, you might have mussing out on the beautiful things in life.

pete_cohen: “People rarely succeed unless they have fun in what they are doing.” Dale Carnegie


Psalm 127

A song of ascents. Of Solomon.

1Unless the Lord builds the house,

its builders labor in vain.

Unless the Lord watches over the city,

the watchmen stand guard in vain.

2In vain you rise early

and stay up late,

toiling for food to eat—

for he grants sleep toa those he loves.

3Sons are a heritage from the Lord,

children a reward from him.

4Like arrows in the hands of a warrior

are sons born in one’s youth.

5Blessed is the man

whose quiver is full of them.

They will not be put to shame

when they contend with their enemies in the gate.
Footnotes:
a 2 Or eat— / for while they sleep he provides for


No comments:

Post a Comment